Thursday, September 24, 2015

Sol 9: Reel In Student Interest With Mystery Rewards

TL;DR: Adding mystery to a rewards sheet drives students to earn that unknown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I add mystery to my XP rewards sheet and why it pushes gamers to do more?
In a previous post, "Engaging XP Rewards Sheet", I mentioned how adding three categories of rewards engage learners. Those are rewards which are anticipated. However, adding a little bit of mystery can push students to level up as fast as possible just to see the unknown.

Simply by adding
question marks next to special abilities or special actions will drive students to do all they can to reach the unknown level. Once reached and the mystery revealed they feel a sense of accomplishment greater than earning an anticipated (known) reward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My gushy thoughts and 2 cents: 
I was really surprised how much this simple addition to the rewards sheet really motivated my students. It gets me wondering about all the other simple, and effective, strategies I can implement to improve motivation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment