Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sol 2: Learning Zones in a Gamified Classroom

TL;DR: You must have more than one learning zone to keep student engagement up. Align different zones with the workshop model to condition students with different expectations and outcomes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a learning zone (LZ) and why you better have more than one?
A LZ is a specifically designed space in your classroom to foster specific outcomes
from your students.

Traditionally, every classroom has only had one LZ. Students arrive to class and sit down at their desk/table. That's it. The outcome is to sit, listen, and absorb information. Only having one LZ may have the following side effects:

  • Disengagement
  • Falling asleep
  • Low energy
  • Distraction
 Creating a couple different LZs have transformed the behaviors of my students in a positive way. The vast majority of those negative side effects above have been vanquished. The following three LZs describe how I keep students active throughout my lesson aligning with the workshop model.

What are the three learning zones in my classroom?
Zone 1: The first part of my lesson, opening/mini lesson, begins at the front of the classroom. This zone contains student chairs, the whiteboard, and the projector screen. I am able to share the announcements, agenda, and learning target. Also, since the students are front-and-center, they can easily observe my mini lesson or science demonstration. With this set up students are fully engaged because their bags are still packed and not unloaded with distractions.



Zone 2: During the second part of my lesson, worktime, students move their chairs to the back half of the classroom to their assigned tables. This transition has two purposes:

1. Students physically move to gain energy and reduce lethargy.
2. Mentally, students are conditioned that when they are in Zone 2 they will be doing school work.

As you can see in the diagram above the layout of the tables have been organized in a strategic fashion. There is a circular pattern the teacher can move about to easily help the outer facing students on their work and progress. The teacher's proximity to every student is always within 15 feet to keep students alert and focused.



Zone 3: The final part of my lesson is the debrief. This occurs during the last 10 minutes of class. Students stop what they are doing, pack everything up, and bring their chairs (and themselves) back to the front of the classroom. Just like Zone 1, I have students' full attention so we can go over any questions/concerns from the lesson and prepare them for the next day.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My gushy thoughts and 2 cents: 
Classroom management has never been better for me. EVERY student is now engaged (even with the occasional not-so-engaging lesson). Students' seem to like moving around and have given me positive feedback about getting my attention quickly to help them with any problems. I realize I am very fortunate to have such a large space and am trying my best to make use of every square yard meter (science = metric system only, sorry America).

No comments:

Post a Comment